Friday, January 9, 2009

On joining a writing group...

I've seen recommendations everywhere that writers, especially new writers, should join a writing group to get more sets of eyes looking at their words before submitting them. I've also seen warnings about the writer's groups that drag writers down and either change your voice or just endlessly praise each other's work without any real growth.

I went to the Surrey International Writer's Conference this year, partially in hopes of meeting some agents, but mostly hoping to connect with other writers. I attended an informative class by one agent and had pitch appointments with another (good feedback, but no request). Most importantly, I connected with other writers and was invited to join a group.

It's been wonderful. Fresh sets of eyes have pointed out things that were over-edited and needed clarifying, confusing bits, and lots of comma errors. I've gotten to read and give comments on exciting stories the other writers are writing. Discussing others' writing teaches me more about the craft.

Thanks BJ, Ted, Gosh, and Laurel for letting me in.

No comments: