Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Genres - some of this, a little of that

Sorting books by genre helps readers (and buyers) to find books more easily. There's overlap in the names and some books qualify under two or more labels. When you query an agent or editor, they expect you to name the genre and I expect they don't react favorably if your label doesn't match their expectations.

AfterQuest is somewhere between fantasy and science fiction. Luckily, bookstores and libraries shelve them together so finding it won't be a problem if it ever gets there. But what to call it? Fantasy and mislead those who demand magic in their fantasy novels? Or science fiction and offend others with the presence of Elves?

One editor I spoke with told me to go by what the book felt most like to me. There's a definate fantasy vibe with the Elves and whatnot so that's what I've been calling it in queries. Butm some publishers state that fantasy = (contains magic). Hopefully, I can someday craft a query letter that grabs an agent's interest and she or he can steer the novel to the publishers who would be most interested.

No comments: