Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bugsy

I included 'rider' in the name of this blog because I am a rider. My horse Bugsy is done with a year off from jumping (waiting for a hoof crack to grow out) and we're waiting for dry footing in our home arena so we can remind ourselves how to jump. In the meantime, we've been taking dressage lessons from a very talented college student. Her approach is different than other dressage instructors I've had before - she focuses on the horse's walk, getting the straightness, bend, and hindquarter engagement before we try the same movements at the trot.

Bugsy is a 17 hand black Thoroughbred gelding, the first year I had him, we competed in one combined test (dressage test plus a jumping round). Assorted hoof issues have kept us out of shows since then, but hopefully this year, we'll enter some small schooling shows and some unrecognized events.

He's going so well as a result of these lessons, I can't wait to get us jumping again!

No comments: